Brú Chaoimhín was a originally a hospital set up to treat people with infectious diseases.
It was designed as two buildings originally. One for the people who were still sick and one for people who were not infectious any more but were still getting better.
In 1818, 3,000 people with Typhus were admitted
In 1826 it got so crowded they had to put 400 extra beds in tents around the hospital. In 1903 the lovely, big, red brick building across the road was built as a home for the nurses who worked in the hospital.
In 1953 the hospital was closed and it became a nursing home.
AT A GLANCE:
Built between 1801 and 1804 by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Designed by Samuel Johnston.
Originally separate buildings to house the infected and the recovering.
Larger building added in 1814.
In 1812, more than 2,200 patients admitted.
Extended between 1817 and 1819 to help deal with a typhus epidemic.
3,000 cases admitted in one month in 1818.
In 1826 during another thyphus epidemic 10,000 people were treated. To cope with the surge in demand 400 extra beds were put in tents on the grounds of the hospital.
In 1903 the Weir Home for Nurses was built across the street to provide accommodation for nurses who worked in the hospital.
In 1953 the hospital was closed and converted into a nursing home.
You can find out more by clicking one of these links: